There are many benefits from having a good posture. These include health benefits, such as :
reducing the risk of back pain,
improving our breathing
preventing our internal organs being squashed.
A good posture can also have some aesthetic benefits such as making us look taller, slimmer and younger!
These are really good reasons to encourage us to maintain a good posture.
Our posture is greatly affected by our lifestyle. In this day and age increasingly our lifestyle has a negative impact on our posture. Spending too many hours hunched in front of computers, sitting with bad seat set up in our cars to slouching for a few hours a night in front of the TV can all contribute to a poor posture.
Increasingly our team at Cliffs Chiropractor Southend are treating patients for symptoms that have at their root poor posture. In these instances we recommend that these patients improve their posture by undertaking exercises and following tips and advice that can improve their posture.
In addition, we suggest that they also follow a programmed designed by the British Chiropractic Association (BCA) specifically to improve posture and help prevent back pain by promoting balance, strength and flexibility in the spine.
The Straighten Up UK is a three minute exercise programme designed to be done on a daily basis and to become part of our daily routine, just like brushing our teeth.
It has been divided into three segments:
It can be adapted to suit individual needs, so if you feel your posture could do with a makeover you can follow the Straighten Up UK in the video below.
Straighten UP UK Programme
Before starting any new exercise routine remember to seek advice from your GP, chiropractor or other health practitioner.
It’s that time of year again – the Chelsea Flower Show is just around the corner and the warmer weather is on its way! It can only mean that gardening is on the cards for many of us. on and warmer weather predicted then for many getting out into the garden is on their plans.
However, our team of chiropractors in Southend are sending out this advice if you are planning on doing some gardening any time soon. Watch your back!
Unfortunately it is only too common at this time of year that our experienced team of chiropractors at Cliffs Chiropractic Clinic in Southend treat patients who are suffering as a result of their gardening exploits.
So we’ve put together some basic advice for you to follow and keep your back safe while gardening this summer …
1. Clothing – Choose loose and comfortable clothing to wear and avoid wearing clothing that is too tight or will impede your movement.
2. Warm up – Before you start do some simple stretching exercises. It can really save you from painful injuries and strains.
3. Lighter tasks first – begin with the lighter tasks you have planned and build up too the more strenuous ones.
4. Avoid bending and overstretching –often the causes of injuries and strains so you want to ensure that you get up close to the what you are working on and use long handled gardening tools and equipment to help you.
5. Change potion/activity every 20 -30 minute – so you’re not in one position for too long and you avoid repetitive movements.
6. Take regular breaks and have a stretch while you’re at it.
You’ll find an useful video to watch below that the British Chiropractic Association (BCA) has put together. It reinforces the points above but in a visual way.
Why not book in and get a check-up with one of our experienced team at Cliffs Chiropractor Southend before you get started and avoid injuries and strains.
It was great to meet up and help out so many visitors to the Southend Garden Show over the May Day Bank Holiday weekend.
We even had one of the Garden Show celebs pay us a visit. Tommy Walsh best known for his role in the BBC’s Ground Force series was at the show sharing his advice with show attendees.
Tommy came by the stand to say hi! Here’s Tommy with Pas and Lisa at the Cliffs Chiropractor Southend stand.
There’s no doubt that Tommy values Chiropractic treatment to keep him in tip top shape so that he can get on with all his DIY and Gardening jobs.
As this Summer’s Gardening season pick up steam why not follow Tommy’s lead and give us a call at Cliffs Chiropractic. Our experienced team of chiropractors in Southend on Sea are here to help you stay in tip top shape for this Summer’s gardening!
If your golf game is being affected by a pain or discomfort your suffering in your body then now may be a good time to get it checked out.
One of our patients at Cliffs Chiropractor Southend found that his golf game has improved considerably since visiting Dr Arif, one of our experienced chiropractors in Southend.
This is what Keith had to say …
I was suffering from severe neck trauma after sharply turning my head. This affected my golf which I play three times a week ,noticing a significant reduction in turn and distance when hitting the ball. Now not only am I totally free of pain but I can achieve the golf I was playing 10 yrs ago when I was a 12 handicap. I am now on 16 handicap but expect to see this come down after a few weeks treatment from Arif!
While chiropractic treatment to help any problems that you are currently suffering from can most certainly improve your handicap as Keith has found out, it’s really important that you take care of yourself when playing.
Here are our top tips to golfers …
1. Golf bags can be heavy and awkward and cause you all kinds of problems. Investing in a light weight bag and use dual harness straps over your shoulders. Carrying your bags this way will keep its weight evenly distributed and help you avoid twisting your body and causing yourself some damage. By the way – using trolleys can cause as many problems (See below)
2. Unfortunately many golfers do not bother to warm up properly before teeing off. Inadequate warm up results in many muscle strains and injuries. Always warm up properly before teeing off to improve your flexibility and help avoid injury. Spend 2 -3 minutes on a stretching routine to ensure your body is adequately prepared before teeing off. Ensure your routine focuses on your hamstrings, quads, chest, muscles and shoulders.
3. When lifting up your golf bag always remember to bend your knees.
4. Your golf shoes are really important, so choose ones that will help you maintain a stable stance and also help you to avoid twisting your back and hips.
5. Using a trolley may not be the answer to carrying your clubs as trolleys encourage awkward pulling and bending actions that can cause injuries. A power or electric caddy is often safer.
6. Just like a warm up you need a routine that will enable you to cool down after your round.
We hope you follow our tips and stay safe on the golf course.
If you are golfer and suffering just like Keith was then why not give us a call and book an appointment with one of our experienced chiropractors at Cliffs Chiropractor Southend.
It’s surprising how much our experienced team of chiropractors in Southend can tell by examining a patient’s spine.
Here at Cliffs Chiropractic Clinic in Southend our team of chiropractors pride themselves on finding the underlying cause of your pain and discomfort and provide a long term solution to keeping you fit and healty.
Chiropractic treatment is suitable for most people including children. Our chiropractors use a variety of treatment methods which ensures all age groups who need help, can benefit from our chiropractic treatment.
Once you’re better you will be given help to maintain good health, including being offered exercises, lifestyle and ergonomic advice.
Some complaints commonly attended to by our experienced team of chiropractors in Southend include:
• Joint Pains
• Acute and Chronic Lower Back Pain
• Muscle Spasms
• Headaches Arising from the Neck
• Arthritis Pain-Knees and Hips
• Acute Neck Pain
• Hip and Knee pain from Osteoarthritis
• Frozen Shoulder-related to neck and thoracic complaints
If you are in pain or suffering discomfort then please get in touch and visit us at Cliffs Chiropractor Southend.
Almost all of us will experience a headache at some point in our life, however, if you are finding that your headaches are getting you down you may want to consider chiropractic treatment as a way to help you.
A new study concluded that trigger point therapy reduced cervicogenic headache pain by 71% for patients. The patients also experienced a 59% reduction in neck pain symptoms, as well as improved range of motion and muscle function.
As a chiropractor in Southend on Sea, we may be able to help you with your cervicogenic headaches. These are headaches arising from your neck. These types of headache are usually caused by misalignment or nerve irritation in the upper neck.
Chiropractors commonly use Trigger point therapy as a treatment to relieve trigger points (TrPs), or hyperirritable spots of pain located in taut bands of skeletal muscles.
Often patients who seek chiropractic care experience immediate relief from the symptoms of their cervicogenic headache following treatment.
If your headaches are getting you down then why not call us now to book an appointment with one of our experienced team of chiropractors at Cliffs Chiropractor Southend on Sea.