Unfortunately not everyones digging and gardening exploits have such a happy ending!
At this time of year our chiropractors at Cliffs see far too many patients who have ended up doing themselves some damage while gardening. If you’re planning some gardening then here are our five top tips to keep your back safe.
Five top tips for back safe gardening from Cliffs Chiropractor Southend
1. Wear comfortable and loose fitting clothing to avoid constricting your movement.
2. Warm up by starting off with the lighter jobs. This will lessen the chance of muscle strain – remember gardening is just like taking any other form of exercise!
3. When pruning get as close as possibe to the plant you are pruning to avoid overstretching. Long handled secateurs are a great investment to avoid overreaching and overstretching.
4. Using a ladder or steps? Always face the ladder and keep your shoulders, hips and knees pointing in the same direction when using it. Always avoid leaning or reaching when on the ladder by moving it regularly to be as close to where you are working as possible. Always remember to firmly and safely plant the ladder in position before climbing it. Even better, have someone else on hand to hold it securely in place.
5. Take regular breaks every 20 – 30 minutes and avoid spending any more than this time on one activity.
If you do find you have over done it in the garden then don’t hesitate to contact us and let our experienced team of chiropractors at Cliffs in Southend help sort you out.