Walking is one of the most underrated forms of exercise and now that Summer is nearly upon us there is no excuse to get out there and experience some great areas for walking around the local area. We share a Cliff’s favourite below.
PS Have you got your own secret walking route you would like to share with our readers? Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are struggling to fit in exercise into your busy life or worried about going to the gym the great news is that walking is an ideal form of exercise regardless of your age or fitness level. It’s simple and free – what could be better!
Just keep in mind the following …
Before you start:
- Wear comfortable shoes or trainers and loose-fitting clothes
- For longer walks you may want to carry some water and some other emergency supplies like healthy snacks, a hat, sunscreen and waterproofs (for the UK weather)
- If you have any known medical conditions or are unsure whether you should be walking please seek medical advice before starting
- Build up your walking time so start out slowly.
- You need to be walking fast enough to raise your heart rate and break into a sweat to get the health benefits from walking. A little test to see if your walking with enough intensity is to try talking the words of your favourite song – you should be able to do this but not be able to sing them!
- Don’t overdo it – if you can only walk at this intenisty for a few minutes then break up your activity into chunks.
Keep at it:
- Overtime you should be able to increase the time you are walking at the necessary intensity.
- The easiest way to keep at it is to make it part of your daily habit.
- Think of other ways to incoporate walking into your daily life. You’ll probably be surprised at how many there are.
And now a local walk idea for you …
Leigh-on-sea and Hadleigh Castle Walk
This is a great circular walk that takes in many of the local sights around Leigh-on-Sea, Benfleet and Hadleigh you can also stop off at a local hostelry for some light refreshment along the way! Just don’t take in too many calories and sit for too long – after all this is about getting some exercise in!
The route takes in the ruins of Hadleigh Castle a walk along along Benfleet Downs. You will get some great views from both. The circular walk is 11.5 kilometers so if you haven’t exercised for a while you may want to start by planning doing a shorter route.
You can far more details about the walk on the Essex Pub Walks website. It will provide you with the starting grid reference for the Leigh-on-Sea railway station and there’s a map to follow.