Driving can affect your posture. The British Chiropractic Association has carried out consumer research that revealed that of those questioned, 25% felt that driving was affecting their posture.
As one of our leading chiropractors here at Cliffs Chiropractor Southend, Dr Arif Soomro, I have put together expert advice to help improve your posture whilst driving :
Enter your car comfortably – avoid twisting your back and ensure you keep your knees together.
Next you need to find your best seating position – there are several stages to finding this;
- Adjust The Back Rest – Aim to have a nice upright driving style so bring your back rest as far forward as necessary to accomplish this
- Adjust the seat itself – bring it up high enough with a space above your head and your knees at least level with if not below the height of your hips. Additionally you should adjust the incline of your seat so that it slopes slightly downwards – of this is not possible you may find a wedge shaped cushion helpful
- The steering wheel – avoid having your elbows and arms too far away and straight as this locked position can create a lot of tension in the shoulders and in the neck. Instead make sure there is a bend in your arm when driving
- Adjust your headrest – aim to have the top of the headrest higher than the top of your ears
- Adjust the height of your seat belt if you can so that it doesn’t cut you into the neck.
Having made these adjustments you are now good to go. Your back should be comfortable and you should be close enough to the steering wheel to be able to steer from the forearm.
In addition I have made a video that you may find helpful. You can watch it by clicking the link below.
Should you be suffering back pain then why not visit our experienced team of chiropractors in Southend here at Cliffs Chiropractic Clinic and let them help you get back to good health.
The Team at Cliffs Chiropractor Southend on Sea
And the surrounding areas including Westcliff, Leigh-on-Sea,
Rayleigh, Hockley, Canvey Island, Hadleigh, Rochford and Hullbridge