There’s one thing that can put a damper on a holiday and that’s back pain. If you are one of the many people who are taking to the skies this summer to reach their holiday destination, Arif has put together some timely advice for you.
Arif’s Back Safe Air Travel Advice
To minimise backache and to keep in good spinal health when flying for over an hour I recommend these brief points and gentle mobilising exercises.
- When handling your baggage keep the case as close as possible into your body and avoid jerky movements when lifting the case
- Pull a case off the carousel with both hands, this will spread the load and lessen the chances of twisting as you lift
- As with most lifting bend always remember to bend your knees
- Sit higher up on the seat with your bottom against the back of seat, raise your height by placing the blanket and cushion provided on long haul flights under your bottom.
- Every one to one and a half hours take a break from your seat and do some gentle mobilising exercises:
- Find an area to stand with your back against a wall and pull one knee up to your chest with both hands holding below the knee cap. Gently tug the leg 10 times. Repeat this for each leg 3 times so that’s 10 tugs 3 times per leg.
- Next stand with your feet just beyond hips width apart with your hands on your hips and swing gently and rhythmically from side to side for 2 minutes or longer. This mimics the act of walking and is good for circulation too!
- On returning to your seat, sit upright and clench your buttocks firmly, holding for 10 seconds, release and repeat 10 times. This will help to keep your circulation flowing (and provide a giggle to the passenger next to you and laughter is always beneficial:)!).
- Use a horse shoe pillow to stop your head rolling if you fall asleep.
- Avoid looking down to digital devices for more than a few minutes to avoid neck strain and possible headaches.
Whether you are jetting off or taking a staycation this summer we hope you have a relaxing holiday and safe travel.
The Team at Cliffs Chiropractor Southend on Sea
And the surrounding areas including Westcliff, Leigh-on-Sea,
Rayleigh, Hockley, Canvey Island, Hadleigh, Rochford and Hullbridge