June 9th sees the start of Bike Week and annual event organised by Cycling UK to promote cycling. The aim is to demonstrate how cycling can be incorporated into our daily lives in addition to the many benefits of cycling.
Cycling is great way to get active. It has many benefits ranging from health, social and environmental ones.
As chiropractors we encourage people to get get active and take exercise. It is so important for a healthy spine. Unfortunately many people don’t realise how important it can also be to their recovery from back pain. It’s not uncommon for our chiropractors to treat patients who believed that resting would have helped ease their back pain.
Cycle offers many benefits which include:
- helping improve the health of your heart and immune system
- helping you manage your weight
- reducing stress, anxiety and improving mental health
- helping you sleep better
- improving your fitness
If cycling is for you then we couldn’t live in a better place than Southend. Cycle Southend are set up to help Southend residents in all things bike! Their website is jam packed full of information from learn to ride tips, bike maps and suggested routes, groups to join on rides and even bike friendly cafes for those welcome pit stops – you can find it all on this website.
Our chiropractors at Cliffs Chiropractic Southend have put together some tips to help you keep our back safe if you do get on your bike.
- Make sure you adjust the bike to suit your body before setting off. You should be able to reach the handlebars without overreaching or putting strain on your back, neck, shoulders or wrists.
- Ideally the seat should be sloping forward or flat. Adjust the height so that your able to sit on the seat with your legs almost straight. When the pedal is in the most downward position your leg should be slightly bent at the knee.
- Start slowly and build up your intensity. Don’t overdo it on your first ride out – you’ll either injury yourself or put yourself off going again! Remember not all exercise is the same – even if you do some other form of exercise regularly, cycling may use different muscles groups.
- Allow time to warm up before setting of and cooling down at the end of the ride.
- Wear appropriate clothing that will be comfortable and not restrict your movement. You may want to consider some suitable padded clothing for cycling!
- Change your position from time to time when cycling.
Why not get out there and have a go you may be surprised at how much you enjoy it.
If you haven’t take any exercise for a while or you are suffering pain or discomfort then you should seek advice from your chiropractor or health care professional before getting started.
Our experienced team of chiropractors at Cliffs Chiropractic are here to help and advise you.
The Team at Cliffs Chiropractor Southend on Sea
And the surrounding areas including Westcliff, Leigh-on-Sea,
Rayleigh, Hockley, Canvey Island, Hadleigh, Rochford and Hullbridge